SUSTAINABLE FUTURES™ TRAINING WORKSHOP
Sustainable Futures™ is a voluntary US EPA initiative that aims to promote the incorporation of Pollution Prevention (P2) methods into chemical stewardship. By participating in this hands-on workshop, you will learn to use a variety of computer-based models and techniques to assess both hazard and exposure components for a chemical substance, as well as how to combine these into a screening-level risk assessment. The workshop includes in-depth presentations and hands-on sessions with the models, and covers the methodology for hazard and risk screening for human health, ecotoxicity and environmental fate.
Upon completion of this workshop you will understand how the EPA OPPT evaluates both new and existing chemicals in the absence of data and be able to perform evaluations in a similar manner, allowing you to anticipate regulatory action and prioritize chemicals based on potential hazard and risk. In addition, companies participating in the Sustainable Futures™ initiative that have achieved graduate status can qualify for regulatory relief and gain the ability to go to manufacture at day 45 for qualifying new chemicals. This Sustainable Futures™ workshop is the first step toward successful participation in this innovative program.
What You Will Learn:
- How the US EPA evaluates new chemical notifications
- How to conduct screening-level hazard, exposure and risk characterizations of your chemicals in the absence of measured data
- Gain hands-on experience with the same models and methods that the US EPA Office of Pollution Prevention and Toxics (OPPT) employs to perform chemical risk screening and prioritization
- Get the knowledge to take your products out of the regulatory black box
- This workshop satisfies the training requirement for companies interested in formally graduating in the Sustainable Futures™ program. Sustainable Futures™ graduates can take advantage of regulatory incentives in the form of dual PMN/TMEA submissions which effectively reduces the time to market.
- For more information on the US EPA Sustainable Futures™ Program, visit the home page at: http://www.epa.gov/oppt/sf/.
The Next Workshop:
If you are interested in attending the next Sustainable Futures workshop, or your company might be interested in hosting a Sustainable Futures workshop, contact Peter Ranslow.
Requirements: Participants are asked to bring their own laptop computers preloaded with the EPA models for the hands-on portions of the workshop
Agenda: The agenda from the most recent conference is available for download here.
Handouts: Handouts for the presentations in this workshop are available here.